What is deadwood?
Deadwood is a branch or part of a tree that is dead. It often occurs due to disease, dehydration, lack of sufficient sunlight, fungi, or simply part of the natural process of aging. Deadwood doesn’t mean that the entire tree is beyond saving. Instead, the dead branches can be safely removed, and the tree itself can continue living.
How to recognize deadwood
Here are few telltale signs to help you identify deadwood on your trees:
- Dead leaves clinging to bare branches
- Bark that has fallen off revealing smooth wood underneath
- Large fungus taking up residence
- Slender branches that snap if shaken; feel drier and hollower than others
The benefits of deadwood removal
There are many beneficial reasons why you should consider removing deadwood from your trees. These include:
- Improving the tree’s health—Leaving deadwood can lead to decay, pest problems, and fungal disease.
- Increases the visual appeal—A tree will simply look more attractive and healthier when the deadwood is removed. If you determine that a limb or branch on one side of the tree needs to be removed, consider selectively trimming on the opposite side to restore visual balance.
- Eliminate the risk of property damage—When a storm or even a strong breeze repeatedly whips against a dead branch or limb, there is an increased likelihood of the tree splitting. This can result in the tree being damaged beyond repair. Also, a dead limb falling on your roof, vehicle, or anywhere else on your property can cause extensive damage and perhaps even physical harm to your family. And in areas where wildfires are occurring with alarming frequency, dead branches are more likely to catch fire.
Removing deadwood and tree trimming can be tricky. A professional tree trimming arborist has the expertise to identify diseased trees and deadwood, along with the experience of knowing how to do so carefully. They also have the appropriate tools and equipment to do so in the safest manner possible.
It’s time to discover why A-1 Tree & Stump Removal is Redding, CA’s premier tree trimming arborists! Our team of dedicated professionals are here to answer your questions and schedule a visit. Give us a call today! We look forward to working with you.